Bitly – Powerful Short Links is a free extension for all Chrome users. There are several free extensions available for chrome users. All the extensions are added keeping in mind that help the users in their daily uses.
Bitly – Powerful Short Links
Bitly Inc introduced Bitly which is an URL shortening and a link managing service. This Platform became popular when Bitly was introduced as a default URL shortening service for Twitter on May 6th, 2009.
Bitly is used in cross platforms such as Windows, Mac OS, iOS. Android version can be downloaded from Google Play Store.
Bitly – Powerful Short Links can be used in any browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge, etc.
How to download ?
For downloading follow these simple steps
- In Chrome browser open Chrome Web Store.
- From the search bar type the name Bitly | Powerful Short Links
- Click on Bitly | Powerful Short Links for Chrome
- You can add this extension to chrome by clicking the tab called “add to chrome”.
How to use Bitly – Powerful Short Links?
- You can Launch Bitly – Powerful Short Links while using a web page by clicking the Bitly icon
- Once clicked it will show a login page, where you have to create your account if you are a new user, or you have to log in if you are an existing user.
- You can copy a link of any page, drive, video and select the create button and paste the long URL and press create.
- A shortened URL will appear, you can share the shortened link as it is or you can change the back half of the URL so that the person will understand what the link is for.
- Suppose you want to shorten a link of a feedback form, you can change the back half, for example after shortening the link is showing https://bit.ly/abcdefgh, you can customize it as https://bit.ly/Feedbackform.
- Once created you can share the links with your peers.
Bitly is a user-friendly platform where you can create, customize, and short powerful and recognizable links to attract more visitors to your content.
Bitly uses HTTP 301 redirects to generate new links, the shortened URLs are permanent and cannot be changed once they are generated. The newly generated URLs use the bit.ly domain or other generic domain which the platform offers to its users.
This company also offers paid premium offers where brands/companies can create and use their own custom domains for advance branding, Omnichannel campaigns, etc. For example Google uses goo.gl, Pepsi uses pep.si as their custom domain to push brand awareness toward the customers. Bitly also provides advanced analytics and advanced social insight tools to the companies which use their premium offers.
In the newest version Bitly has a “right-click + shorten link” functionality
For more details you can visit http://bitly.com/ and if you have questions or need help? Send an email to email@example.com
Are Using bitly from the website and chrome extension is same?
Saving and sharing shortened URLs Bitly from their website or using from chrome extension is same, the chrome extension does not collect any browsing and activity data.
How safe is bit.ly?
Bitly uses HTTP 301 and all the links are encrypted with HTTPS which is an added layer of security that Bitly provides along with the government mandate policies.
Users can increase their account security themselves by creating strong passwords for their accounts and two-factor authentication while sign-in in Bitly. Enterprise accounts get an advantage of Single sign-on (SSO) options and can use advance user permission options of the platform.
What is a Link or URL Shortener?
Sometimes, an URL becomes so big, that it looks absurd to share that link to any social media, or to other share options. For this, users generally use URL Shortener for shortening the link. It also looks nice as the link comes in compact form. Bitly is a powerful and free-to-use one, where you can shorten the URL and also customize it. Easy to use and secure.
What is the use of URL Shortener?
The URL shortener is used to simplify the big URL to a small, compact, and friendly one. You may have noticed that the promotional SMS that are delivered by a branded company, for promoting their product, have a link to click. Technically, that link is called CTA (Call to Action). As you may know that these types of SMS have a limit of word numbers counting as one SMS. So, by using an URL shortener, one can easily shorten a big URL structure to a small one to fit that within the word limit count.
It’s a single example I gave you, there are numerous uses of a secured URL shortener. Other than Bitly, there are many such Link or URL shorteners available on the web.
I personally advise using Bitly, as I am using it for a long time, and have not faced any issue with it to date. It’s very easy to use. You can log in via the web, or install the extension in your browser, as it supports almost all browsers. Above all, it’s absolutely free to use.
- Rating- Average rating of 3.8 out of 5, 2192 users gave rating
- Category- Social & Communication
- Active users- 600,000 + Users
- Version- 3.0.24
- Languages- English
- Size- 1.78 Mb
- Updated- May 12th, 2021